Receiving Donor Sperm
Midland Fertility can source donor sperm from either regular altruistic donors or occasionally from other clinics in the UK or even from abroad. Alternatively, a woman or couple may use a ‘known sperm donor’, ie a friend or relative, who agrees to provide sperm for use in their treatment only.
Donor sperm may be used in IUI, IVF or ICSI treatment:
- go to more information on IUI
- go to more information on IVF
- go to more information on ICSI
- go to more information on donor treatments legal information
Who may benefit from using donor sperm?
- single women
- women in a same sex relationship
- couples where the man has no sperm (azoospermia)
- couples where the man’s sperm is of very poor quality or insufficient quantity
- couples where the man is at risk of passing on a serious hereditary condition
Who are the sperm donors?
- are aged 18-41
- are of good health
- have no personal or family history of inherited illness or abnormalities (such as epilepsy or haemophilia)
- free of sexually transmitted diseases, HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C
Approved sperm donors receive £35 per donation, up to £750.
Matching donors and recipients
Donors and recipients are usually matched against the following:
- eye colour
- hair colour
- CMV status
Identity of sperm donors
Both the sperm donor and recipient remain anonymous to each other, although the recipient may receive some non-identifying information about the donor, such as a description of his physical characteristics and personal interests.
Cost of known sperm donor screening fee at Midland Fertility (payable by recipient): £1,350.00
Cost of 1 vial of donor sperm for use in IUI/IVF/ICSI cycle at Midland Fertility: £500.00
Cost of bulk purchase of sperm at Midland Fertility (payable by recipient):
– donor pregnancy allocation slot: £1,100.00
– per vial of sperm (minimum purchase of 4 vials: £450.00
Go to the Midland Fertility Patient Treatment Information page and download the following infosheets:
- Fertility Treatment Using Donor Sperm
- IUI: Intra Uterine Insemination
- IVF: In Vitro Fertilisation
- ICSI: Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection
LU: 14/11/14 LJB